Lecturers set to strike again…what’s new?

They’re at it again. Lecturers announce three more strike dates as dispute over pay rolls into 2014.

news qub students union University

We have all received that fateful email, the one that we dream of getting all year and then it finally arrives… “Class is CANCELLED”. In the immortal words of Mel Gibson we finally have our “FREEEEDOM!”.

Well, for two hours. And yes, we’re all happy to have a guilt free day off when news of strikes roll around, but should we really be more concerned about these strikes and what they mean for our teaching staff at Queen’s?

UCU trade union at Queen’s call for strikes again.

Our SU continue to show the lecturers support; in an email sent to the entire Students’ Union president Niall McShane said “Queen’s Students’ Union offers its support to the strike and values the contribution of academic and support staff to Higher Education.  We hope for a speedy resolution to the ongoing dispute and believe that Higher Education should be properly funded. This should include appropriate pay and conditions for academic and support staff.”

Shouldn’t we as the students show a little support as well? Last year during the strike days many students made the wily decision to skip class to support the lecturers strike, and we congratulated you for not being a scab by showing you all the things you could enjoy doing on your day off instead.

This semester, whether you agree with the strikes or not you’ll only get two hours of free term time to decide. The strikes are taking place as follows:

Thursday 23 January 2014 from 11.00-13.00

Tuesday 28 January 2014 from 14.00-16.00

Monday 10 February 2014 from 09.00-11.00