QUB staff to strike again

Lecturers will strike Tuesday 3rd December for the second time this semester as part of an ongoing row about unfair pay and workload.

QUB staff will be striking again as the row over pay continues.

Having striked once already this semester, staff are set to walk out once again if the “pay row is not resolved”.  What that means for us is a day off today! The Tab finds ways to enjoy your free Tuesday, conventional and less-conventional.

1.  Join the protest in support of you lecturers! Our beloved lecturers feel they are not getting paid enough (they’ve faced cuts of 13% in the past four years) and something needs to be done about it. So join the protest and make a difference. Students in Edinburgh staged a sit in to support their staff, but if you don’t feel like going that far you can go along to the rally in SU at 1pm today.

2.       However if you’re feeling a bit more apathetic about the strike, perhaps you should  just go get drunk tonight! No lectures=no worry about a hangover in the morning.  And when the inevitable hangover sinks in, go to Jenz milkshake bar on the bottom of the Lisburn Road. The staff are lovely and friendly and won’t judge you when you roll in like a zombie.  It’s not too far from the University and it serves the best milkshakes to fill your sugar/carb cravings and help you feel like a living person again.

3.  Or get ‘festive’ drunk! A lot has already been said for the Christmas market, yet at this time of year it is the only bar you’ll go to during the day that’ll be full of people, and after all the more the merrier. I prefer the Lavs one, go there.

4.  Go to the cinema! Avail of cheap cinema tickets on Crazy Tuesdays at any Moviehouse branch.  Then from there you should go see the new Hunger Games film, where you’ll  get to  witness  Jennifer Lawrence kill off her peers whilst  proving  her Oscar worthiness by looking  like 10 different people in the space of two hours (she has all the emotions). You can live vicariously through her righteous anger in support of the unfair paycuts at QUB (or Panem, whatsver…)

5.  If you’re still in ‘screw work’ mood later on in the day,  a Folkish brother and sister duo called  ‘Southern’  are playing McHugh’s  bar on Tuesday night. Tickets are not too steep a price at £8 and if you’re into discovering the next big thing you should definitely go along.

6.       Or be sensible and catch up on neglected university work and essay deadlines.  Which is probably what we should be doing …

QUB students who wish to show their support for striking staff can join them at the front of the Lanyon building. Don’t be a scab, yeah?