Lack of students forces AGM to adjourn until next year

Only 52 out of the required 100 students turned up

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) this year fell short of its quorum with just over half of the minimum required students attending forcing it to be adjourned. 

The AGM is an important part of the university’s constitution as it includes reviewing the Union’s financial situation, consideration and voting on important motions, the approval of Honorary Life Membership Awards and offers a chance for students to ask questions to the SU committee.

However, due to the lack of students in attendance, the constitution meant that very little of this could go ahead. Aside from the reading of Officers’ Reports none of the above could happen and the meeting was adjourned until next year.

For the students who would have received the Honorary Life Membership Awards this will come as a biter disappointment as it’ll either mean they do not receive their awards until next year (after many of which have graduated) or they won’t receive them at all.

On top of the frustration from students with questions or hoping to receive awards, the SU President was unable to attend as well as no concrete figure on the Union’s debt being released.

Ieuan Joy, a First Year International Politics student who attended the meeting had this to say:

“I am very disappointed that due to number that the AGM did not go on as proceeded as some very important questions needed to be answered.

“The AGM would have been a perfect opportunity in giving normal students a voice.”

Tina Becker, a Third Year International Politics student who also  attended said:

“I am disappointed by the apathy of the majority of students that delayed, and maybe cost a number of amazing people their Honorary Life Membership Awards who deserve them and so much more.”

Let’s hope next year that we reach the minimum student numbers so that those who deserved to be honoured can be and the student voice can be heard.