Meet the students who’ve organised a rally for mental health awareness

It involves driving to St Andrews

Third year Aber student founded the Aberystwyth – St Andrews Charity Rally for students and international competitors, in aid of the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust which seeks to battle depression and mental health.

Between 23 and 25 September 2016, a group of students and competitors from all around Europe will be driving to St Andrews for a good cause, while crossing the most beautiful landscapes and fulfilling challenges on the way. The idea is to support a small charity in raising awareness and combat depression in the UK.

Tony, final year Politics and History student at Aber had the idea to create a rally in aid of a charity back in his school days in Germany over five years ago.

Tony told The Tab: “Back then the idea was to have a rally from Holzmünden to Berlin. I wanted the funds raised to go to a school in Peru which has been built by my school after an earth quake there. However, with A-Levels around the corner it never really happened in the end. But this year I thought, this is so important to me, let’s make it big. No turning back.”

Tony explained that mental health awareness is an issue close to his heart and that raising money in such a creative way corresponds well with the way the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust (CWMT) works. The CWMT was a particular interesting charity for the student team as it is a quite small organisation and all funds raised at the event will go towards mental health awareness work at universities across the UK.

Tony said: “We wanted the charity to be small, but who makes sure that all our funds go to a project that is close to our heart and will ensure the money is spent well.”

The Charlie Waller Memorial Trust sees their aim in creating “a world where people understand and talk openly about depression, where young people know how to maintain wellbeing, and where the most appropriate treatment is available to everyone who needs it.”

Tony told us: “The CWMT is led by Charlie Waller’s parents, who founded the charity after their son committed suicide and now want to put their energy into aiding those who struggle with depressions.”

The rally will start in Aberystwyth and then slowly move towards St Andrews as the competitors follow scenic routes through Wales and England, whilst fulfilling challenges. “We haven’t planned the route in detail yet, but we’re thinking about driving through Snowdonia National Park, Brecon Beacons, just landscape porn and really nice areas”, said the team leader.

Tony adds: “I cannot say too much about the tasks which the competitors will have to fulfil on the way. But whether it is boiling an egg on their way to St Andrews or making it to Scotland whilst holding a specific speed limit, it will be a lot of fun.”

Over the next months, the student team will organise events and fundraisers for their cause and start printing merchandise for the rally to raise awareness for their campaign. Students, locals and international competitors are invited to take part in the project of fighting depression.

Whilst the exact route to St Andrews has yet to be announced,  particularly student teams are highly encouraged to take part in the charitable event. The charity cannot cover the costs for petrol and overnight stay, nevertheless Tony promises an experience that is not only aiding an important cause, but also meant to be a joyful experience for those involved.

Whilst the organisation of the charity rally itself is already well under way, the team around Tony still welcomes people into their committee who can provide legal advice for an event as big and ambitious as the rally, or who know the British roads better than anyone else.

The team around Tony sees the importance of raising mental health awareness, particularly at universities, however the endeavour can only succeed with support from the local and student community. For more information on their event, please follow their Facebook page.