Male staff at Aber earn £5,000 more on average

It will take until 2050 to close the gender pay gap

Aberystwyth is one of the 15 worst performing universities when it comes to equal pay.

According to the latest report by the University and College Union, male staff at the University earn, on average, £5,000 more than women in the same position.

The University and College Union (UCU) criticised the latest performance of UK colleges and universities in promoting gender equality and equal pay.

While Aber Uni is not at the bottom of the list of particularly large pay gaps, its position is still rather concerning.

The research found Aber is performing particularly badly in the field of gender pay gap for professors, with male professors (who earn around £71,233) earning £5,908 more per average than female professors, who are on £65,325.

The results are in, and they’re not good

The ranking places Aber number 15 of the worst performing universities in terms of gender wage equaliy.

In higher education in the UK, the gender pay gap amounts to a difference in average pay of £528 million per year, with the total salary of female academic staff being £1.3 billion less than for their male counterparts.

Inequalities in academic workforce begins with the fact that over half the academics are women, but only 23 per cent of them are professors. This suggests women are less likely to be promoted to the top of academic posts.

Overall, Aber uni was placed rank eight in measuring the institutions with the greatest gender pay gap, only topped by the LSE, King’s College and a few other big institutions.

The research found that only eight Higher Education Institutions pay the same wage to men and women, wich constitutes the exception from the rule, as 154 Higher Education Institutions pay less to women than to men.

The gender pay gap is more prevalent in purely academic staff rather than non-academic staff employed by universities.

It might come as a surprise to some, that Russell Group universities are more prone to supporting the gender pay gap, with 16.3 per cent of the elite institutes paying more to male workers.

The Report for International Women’s day, published by the UCU draws, a detailed picture of the rate of equal pay and employment of women and men in Aber Uni.

With the rate of progress only slowly increasing in the past decade, the gender pay gap will not be closed until at least 2050.