Aber LGBT+ society raise over £200 with Bowie tribute night

They’ve been raising money all month

The LGBT+ society intends to raise awareness of STIs by remembering recently deceased David Bowie.

You may have noticed an increase in the AberPride societies’ activity the past months. That’s because they’ve been going flat-out for all of February raising money for the Terrence Higgins Trust, a charity which aims to promote awareness of STIs in the UK.

Among other things, they held an auction for Bowie-themed arts donations by students and other supporters.

Having raised £225 at this single event, AberPride don’t intend to stop here either. The group spent the entire month raising money and they’re determined to continue generating attention for their cause.

The committee and university representatives behind the whole effort

In one of their final events, the LGBT+ society organised an evening giving tribute to the late David Bowie, who their President described as “an inspiration and a huge LGBT+ icon”.

Louise Jagger, Director of the Development and Alumni Relations Office said: “When I first heard the news of David Bowie’s death I felt such sadness.

“I hope a tribute to him in Aberystwyth, where he played twice before, will inspire the support of our staff, students and alumni from all over.”

Students donated artwork to help raise money

The University has been helping the society with their charitable efforts through the Development and Alumni Relations Office, who hoped to raise some money to allow the society to travel to LGBT+ events across the country by keeping locals and alumni up to date on all university campaigns.

DARO representative and former student Chris Parry supports the society’s efforts. He told the Tab: “I was a member of AberPride as a student and when the opportunity came up to support the society I couldn’t have been happier to help.

“There is always a lack of funding to send students to events and conferences which are important to keep campaigns and networks up to date.”

Over Pride in our History month, the society has worked tirelessly to promote equality and acceptance through events such as a Vintage Photoshoot and Valentine’s Love is Love campaign.

Terrence Higgins promotes STI awareness

To polish off this month of good deeds they held a David Bowie themed auction, selling donated works to help raise money for both their society and their charity.

President Ellie Lewis explained: “We are aiming for a target of £1000, most of which is donated by locals, alumni and friends – LGBT+ is a charity and we’re helping our students  travel to important conferences across the country.

“Whatever the society doesn’t need goes straight to the Terrance Higgin’s Trust.”

If you would like to support the LGBT+ society in their efforts to raise awareness, you can donate here.