What’s the best year of university?

It’s a tricky one

Everyone has their own favourite year of university. For some, its the freedom of freshers while for others its second year when you’re more street-wise but don’t have the pressure. Then a few love third year because you have everything figured out. It’s a tricky question, so we asked some finalists in Aber which year they enjoyed most.

Gabriella, Interpol and the Third World

“I think it’s probably second year, because first year everything is new. We didn’t have much coursework going on. But I think second year because you have one more year to go, and good friends, and you’re in the middle of it. Oh and third year is such a pain with the dissertation.”

James, Human Geography

“The third year is the best year because you sort of figured everything out. I’ve got a really nice house and the work is about what you want to work on rather than you finding you have to do shit.”

Tina, European Politics

“I think that the second year was the best because first year was a little bit anxious about whether I can actually do everything they want make to do in English. It still took a little bit to get settled and get everything going. But second year was great because all the modules I could choose myself, so they were really interesting, unlike some of the ones in first year which I didn’t enjoy. And there wasn’t as much pressure as in third year.”

Solly, Human Geography

“Third year is probably the best because I’m going to finish now and be free.”

Chris, Interpol

“Definitely first year. The mixture of the pressure being off, it’s a new life style, a new area, new people. And also you get to spend the majority of it drunk. In first year I could write an essay on the day it was due.”

Melisa, Interpol and the Third World

“Second year, because I got away for an exchange.”

Robbie, Mathematics with Physical Geography

“I would say it is the third year. You know the most people, you’re the most involved in any society or clubs that you want to be in. You’re quite well established, you know what you’re doing. It is good fun.”

Al, Regional Environmental Policy Masters

“I think that second year is probably the best year of uni, because you have lots of friends, but you have none of the responsibilities.”

Ellie, Interpol and the Third World

“Second or third. Probably second. Not first year, because everything is new. So although everything is really good, it’s also really stressed out. You’re not panicking, but nervous. And final year is stressed with diss work, whereas second year is just a nice in between.”