Turnitin is down after a cyberattack

Good luck submitting your essay now

Turnitin is down due to a cyberattack.

The company explained on Twitter that their systems have been compromised from a DDOS attack.

Second year compsci Jakub Kawka explained: “hacked and down aren’t the same thing – if it’s a DDOS then it’s an attack, but it’s not the same as hacking it.”

This means that if you are worried about someone stealing your intellectual property and all those 2:2’s you worked hard to collect aren’t going anywhere.

Their engineering department noticed the attack at 4pm and have been having disruptions to normal service all day.

The essay will just have to wait I guess then…

According to Turnitin the attack is affecting all sites and they are working on getting the issue fixed as soon as possible.

Hadyn Earl, first year psychology, said: “It’s ridiculous that Turnitin has been hacked in the first place, most of us pay £9000 a year for our degree and the cost of maintaining such a vital software should be of high importance.

“Especially for those whose work will be stolen and taken credit for by some complete cretin hiding behind a PC. It’s disgraceful and needs to be sorted out asap so we can find out what files may have been compromised.”