Aberystwyth named the most hug-friendly place in the UK

Give us a cwtch

Aberystwyth has been named the most affectionate town in Britain, according to new research.

UK short-break provider Center Parcs conducted a poll on hugs and found Aber tops the list of most hug-friendly places in the UK – giving out an average of more than three hugs a day to friends, relatives, and even work colleagues.

According to the poll, six in 10 residents consider themselves to be “touchy feely” and love to share the love with hugs and cuddles.

On average, UK adults distribute a little less than three hugs a day.

Cwtch and hugs in Yoko’s

Colin Whaley, Sales and Marketing Director at Center Parcs, said: “Hugging fulfils a basic human need – even the least affectionate among us would struggle to feel better after a good hug.”

Maybe it is the romantic sunsets, lonely students, happy drunks, or cold and windy winter seasons that lead people to frequently ask for a proper Cwtch – Welsh style of course. Or maybe it’s just the fact that Aber is tiny and you bump into friends every other minute and have to hug hello and goodbye more often than the average British person.

Either way, Whaley suggests: “For those of us who don’t give or receive hugs all that often, perhaps Aberystwyth can inspire the rest of the UK to follow its lead.”

So loving

If you are not around the Aberystwyth area but are desperate for a hug, Birmingham and Wolverhampton are the places to go, with both cities making the top 10 of Britain’s most hug-friendly locations.

Of course, Bangor didn’t make the cuddle charts top 10.