Suspicious package on Aber train closes down station

Passengers and taxi drivers were asked to leave

Police cordoned off the train station last night after a suspicious package was found on the Birmingham to Aberystwyth train.

The threat led to the temporary closure of Aberystwyth train station while police investigated the scene.

Police arrived at the station at around 5:30 last night to meet the train as it arrived in the station.

Crowds gathered as the station was investigated

A spokesperson for the British Transport Police told The Tab: “Our officers were called to Aberystwyth railway station on Tuesday, 22 December, to reports of a suspicious package on a train.

“The incident was reported to BTP at 5.36pm.

“Officers attended the scene, alongside colleagues from Dyfed-Powys Police, and carried out a full and thorough search of the train and station.

“A discarded suitcase was subsequently discovered on board the 1730hrs Aberystwyth to Birmingham International service and security checks confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances.

“The station promptly reopened and the case has now been returned to its owner.”

Given their proximity to the station, local taxi services were quick to report the disturbances on social media.

Taxi drivers were among the first to notice the disturbance

A local taxi driver, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: “Police officers told us to leave, as the area might need to be used and a train attendant told us a bag had been on the train since Brum and was being treated as suspicious.

“The officer told us all to leave the rank.”

Arriva trains are yet to give comment.