World’s rarest turtle rescued from North beach

It was washed up on the shore last weekend

The RSPCA saved the life of the world’s rarest sea turtle after it washed up on North beach last week.

A member of the public found the critically endangered sea turtle and immediately alerted the animal welfare authority.

A promenader rescued the 30cm long animal, which is suspected to have septicaemia and now recovering at a nearby aquarium.

The rare turtle is recovering in Bristol

RSPCA animal collection officer Ellie West said: “I am still in shock about being able to have dealt with this beautiful rare species and so honoured. I still keep pinching myself.

“At the aquarium the turtle will receive specialist vet checks and treatment. The turtle still has a very guarded prognosis but is now in expert care with brilliant facilities. We hope the turtle will be released when it is fit and healthy.”

The Kemp’s ridley sea turtle is officially classified as “critically endangered” in the wild, and was transferred to Bristol Aquarium where experts are now ensuring the rehabilitation and treatment of the rare species.

Rubbish left on the beach contributes to animal injuries

Bristol Aquarium’s David Waines added:  “Unfortunately this particular turtle is very poorly indeed and we are doing all we can, with the help of a vet who is an expert in marine turtles, to try and stabilise its condition.

“We have to face the fact that it has been through a lot and it stranded because it was no longer able to swim or fend for itself.”

If you see any animals in distress report them to the UK Cetaceans Investigation Programme (CSIP) on 0800 652 0333.