Bartender of the week: Orla from Wiff Waff

She loves those locals

Third year Orla studies Geography while working as a bartender at Wiff Waff. The 20-year-old from Birmingham is our bartender of the week.

Wiff Waff is famous for being the only bar in Wales to offer ping-pong to it’s customers with multiple tables across the establishment. Just don’t throw the balls around or Orla will get mad.

Orla pouring a pint – she says she’s looking into getting a stall

After receiving our highly sought after award Orla said: “I love working here – I get to chat to loads of different people and costumers, especially here as there are loads of students and locals so it’s a good mix of the two.

“Wiff Waff is the best bar in Aberystwyth because we’ve got everything – food, cocktails, we have cheap drinks in happy hour and  ping-pong tables which is pretty awesome.

“We don’t really get many weird things happen here. Normally its super chilled, not really crazy, mainly mellow.”

Ready to serve some ping-pong justice

It’s not all fun and games though, as with any bar Orla still has to get her hands dirty: “The worst thing I have to do is clean up sick out the toilet but that happens everywhere, it’s a really easy-going place to be and to work really.

“I really like the locals as they’re quite interesting, not just the same conversation that you have with every student. But we get some weird old men come in sometimes and I don’t really like them to be honest. Pervy old men are just the worst.”

Shaking up one of Wiff Waff’s many cocktails

As for impressing the guys, Orla has an amazing party trick up her sleeve named: the slug.

“My party trick is doing the slug, I just drop in the middle of Yokos and do it on the dance floor.”

The infamous slug

And as for hobbies she fits in with most other students: “Does drinking count as a hobby? I guess as a student it does, although it’s more of a personality than a hobby. I’m trying to do a 10km run but I don’t train when I’m hanging from a night out – so I don’t train very often.”