Aber2Calais raises two carloads of clothes for stranded refugees

We’re a generous bunch

Aber2Calais raised a whopping amount of clothes and toiletries for refugees stranded on the French border.

Freddie Mackereth, Abi Wren and friends from Aber2Calais couldn’t wait for politicians to take action over the current crisis, so took charge themselves.

They collected clothes, tents, and washing goods in the union all day, with students and staff both donating generosity.

Besides two carloads of pots, pans, shower gel and coats, they collected £53.16.

within minutes the union hall was stuffed with boxes and bags

Third year volunteer Freddie told The Tab: “We’re collecting donations for refugees potentially in Calais or Greece – we’re not sure yet. It depends on which charity we manage to work with or whether we manage to go ourselves.

“Basically the idea came about when we saw everything on the news and we thought we should do something. We should do at least our own little bit to help people. So that’s what we’re doing.”

Abi, a third year English student, said she volunteered after were fed up with the lack of government action: “It’s frustrating that the government and all the rich people are doing bugger all and the people that don’t have very much are the ones that actually care. The refugees are desperate, so if I’ve got a few things that I can help with, I might as well.

“We’re trying to Calais if we can, and sort of directly help rather than just putting a little bit of money in a bucket and feel like you’re doing something.”

You overwhelmed the volunteers with your generosity. Let’s drink to that.

Freddie added: “The response has been very good so far. We’ve had loads of support, we’ve had loads of stuff coming in from all over the place and yeah so far so good. Now we just have to figure out what to do with it all.

“We’ll  either go through an agency that works directly in Calais or Greece, or we’re going ourselves, depending on how much money we can raise.”

If you want to get involved, get in touch on the Aber2Calais Facebook page and they will arrange to meet you. Warm clothes, sleeping bags and tents for the cold winter weather will be particularly welcomed.