Is the Bierkeller in decline?

Who even are the Alpine Stompers?

Bierkeller happened – but it felt like a failure.

The most popular Union event of the year usually attracts hundreds of students, the venue is packed, and people dance on benches, singing “Ein Prosit!”, whilst waving their glass steins.

Something went wrong this time though, as the event was not advertised properly, the crowd was small and it felt like the union prevented everyone from having too much fun.

Plastic cups and empty chairs…

This year the union outsourced the organisation of all its events and employs a company to do so, which is why this year, the Alpine Stompers took on the task of getting excited crowd to chant German songs and dance in Dirndl and Lederhosen.

Our good old Bavarian Stompers have been replaced. It seems that they even got rid of the German flags, and banners saying “eins, zwei, g’suffa!” on it. It doesn’t matter that nobody could read it anyway, the atmosphere has changed.

Lets face it, the old Bierkeller was king, even a student’s mum went loved the Bavarian Stompers.

Just a reminder: Bierkeller in the olden days

Zoology third year Amy loves Bierkeller and she and her friends didn’t want to miss out on a brilliant evening. However, knowing how brilliant previous Bierkeller events used to be, she was left disappointed: “It was only half full and it was good, but not as good as the old ones.”

She liked the band and the singer, but says “his microphone was too close to his face meaning he was really muffly and I couldn’t understand him very well.”

The union stopped the crowd from having too much fun. Amy tells us: “I deffo miss the old bands and we didn’t even get to stand on the benches this time!” 

The union’s mishap doesn’t deter the girls, however. Amy says: “I’m always up for bierkeller!”

Who can say no to two pints in a stein?

Pete, third year Mathematics student agrees, telling us: “I wish i could say it was amazing but the new people who do it weren’t great and there was only a few people there…

“But still who can say no to two pints in a stein. It was definitely not as good as the previous bierkellers.”