Let’s be honest: The SU is the best night out in Aber

Where else can you get £1.50 gin lemonades?

The Student Union in Aber has a pretty bad reputation. Whether it’s moaning about its awful events to being depressingly predictable, everyone seems to have a reason why they hate it. 

But, if we’re being honest, the SU is indisputably the best place to go on a night out. End of.

You can say what you like, nothing will change my mind. I’m officially coming out: I love a night out at the SU and am ashamed no more.

People even go there during the day

I’ve had my best nights at the SU, with Stock Exchange last year being particularly amazing. Anyone who pretends to prefer Harry’s is in denial.

With pints for under £2, shots for a quid and absinthe bombs for £2.50 you can be sure any night that goes via the Union will get messy for very little.

It’s also the only bar in all the land where the queue is actually a quick moving line rather than an obstinate line. You’re also guaranteed to get served in under two minutes thanks to the heroic bar staff.

See, these guys love it as well

Honestly, where else would you go?

Cambrian cocktails will get you boozed, but £5 for what is essentially the dirty pint from a game of ring of fire seems a bit steep.

Downies has cheap double vodkas, but just getting through the door of the smallest pub in town is a mission. The huge queues in that place are enough to sober up even that drunk guy on a social who threw up at Harry’s just after nine.

Then there’s Academy, everyone’s favourite pub in Aber. Again, the queue is super long, the pints expensive and cocktail-esque drinks not worth the hefty price tag.

There he is… poor fresher

This is why the SU really shines: for a price of a drink in town, you could get a taxi back home from the SU if your squad is too lazy to walk up the hill.

For me a night in the town will cost about £30, whereas at the SU I can get absolutely smashed for under £15. It’s a no-brainer.

look, theres even a crowd, the SU isn’t as dead as you all believe

And, of course, there’s the exclusive events.

You’ve got classics such as Bierkellar and Blackhouse, as well as JellyWobble (an amazing electronic music night, like Blackhouse but way smaller and just as amazing). Not to mention all the foam parties, paint parties and the odd silent disco where you can tune into either a rock music or an EDM party station. Those who say there’s no good music on at the SU are just looking in the wrong places.

Also, remember that time they have a rodeo bull that was actually a surfboard? Yeah, that happened. I bet you didn’t even know about because you’re all too busy hating on the best bar in town.

Surfs up dudes?

Lastly, our beloved SU hosts world class residents such as DJ Ben Hayward, Scott Mills and David Guetta. Well, kind of.

Anyway, where else can you get gin and lemonades for only £1.50, or get pizza basically all night long without even leaving the venue?

That’s right: pizza – on a night out. Top that, Yokos.