Ceredigion set to welcome hunderds of Syrian refugees by Christmas

We’re the first county in Wales to offer accomodation

Ceredigion has become one of the first counties in Wales to promise housing for thousands of refugees stranded across Europe.

As part of the UK’s response to the European refugee crisis, Wales will welcome 1,600 Syrian asylum seekers – roughly 8% of the number set to enter the UK – by the end of 2015, with Aber one of the destinations for many of those fleeing conflict.

Priority refuge will be given to vulnerable children and orphans.

Aber’s coastline will be the new home for thousands of asylum seekers

Ceredigion council leader Ellen ap Gwynn said: “The support that has been shown by Ceredigion residents for the refugees is very heartening as we seek to help in the response to this emergency.”

Hannah Wharf, the Welsh Refugee Council’s policy manager, agreed: “We welcome the UK government’s commitment and this rapid change in political and social support for the resettlement and relocation of refugees from Syria.

But she added the government’s overall response has been inadequate: “20,000 over five years isn’t fast enough and we can’t wait until 2020 for this to happen.”

During the past months, the rush of thousands of refugees to the EU’s borders forced Prime Minister David Cameron to announce the UK will take on its “moral responsibility” and welcome 20,000 refugees by 2020 – a figure condemned by critics for being too conservative.

International Politics student Adam welcomed the efforts by Ceredigion council: “It’s wonderful that Aber will be generous enough to take this many refugees.

“Whether it will be enough will be a matter of contention which we will know more about as research continues.

“It will be interesting to see how people coming in mix with people living here already, and the community relations that come from that.”

Childhood Studies third year Helen added: “I am happy that Ceredigion is one of the first places to take refugees.

“I hope it will be an example to other places in the UK to open their borders to more, too.

“Hopefully in time we can take on even more than 1,600.”