Uni to set up new scholarship with £500,000 alumni gift

Dolla dolla bills y’all

Peter Hancock graduated in 1962 with a degree in Geology, he received a grant which helped him along his way to a successful academic and business career, and now he and his partner Patricia Pollard are offering up a huge £506,000 to the uni to set up a major new scholarship.

Peter began his career by mapping the geology of central Australia and then went on to a career in government, overseeing gas pipeline and hydro-electric projects. He has also been a lecturer at the universities of South Australia and Waikato.

Launching in November, the Peter Hancock Need and Merit Scholarship Fund will aim to award scholarships to  deserving, meritorious, in-need second years who show potential to benefit society.

He said: “The key element in making this gift is to give something back to student life and the university that over 50 years ago gave me so much academically, socially and in developing my leadership and business skills.”

“At the same time, I hope it will make a difference through providing scholarships for in-need, promising students to enable them to commence rewarding careers that contribute to society and so, in turn, help others.”

Vice Chancellor, April McMahon said : “Support for scholarships is hugely important and the impact of Mr Hancock’s generosity will be felt across the University for many years to come.  He believes strongly that the professionally and financially rewarding career he has enjoyed as an engineering and exploration geologist was enabled by a scholarship provided through the University.”

Without the grant “he would not have been able to complete an honours degree – hence the focus of the Fund on supporting second year students to successfully complete their degrees.”

“This gift fits perfectly with the University’s priorities of student success, excellence, and working to support and retain students from many different backgrounds.”

Matthew Waite, third year English and Drama student believes that “this sounds like an excellent idea that will benefit lots of second years who otherwise wouldn’t be able to continue their studies and their time at Aberystwyth”

Director of development and Alumni relations, Louise Jagger added that “Aberystwyth University has a long history of working in partnership with alumni to support its students and to advance the ambitions of the University, and I know that Peter and Pat will inspire many of our 60,000 community of alumni around the world with their  philanthropy and active support.”