The only advice you need to survive first year

Nuggets of wisdom from the people who know best

advice freshers guide

You’ve only just started first year but are already flagging.

Party-loving flatmates, early starts and too many regrettable nights at Yoko’s have already taken their toll. But with only a couple of weeks down, how are you meant to survive the rest of the year?

We asked some uni veterans to share their first year memories and regrets so you can avoid similar embarrassments and thrive.

Follow their advice and you’ll be able to meet deadlines, go surfing and smash Pier Pressure all at the same time.

Irina Yīliánnà, Second Year, International Politics

“My good memories from my first year include: the artistic drawings on the white t-shirt you are supposed to wear for the fresher socials; cooking pasta at 4am; and my flat always having problems. It was hilarious, scary, and weird when a hob in the kitchen caught fire while we were cooking.

“My advice for the freshers would be to just enjoy the year and be yourself. Doing so really made me enjoy Aber. This place has opportunities for everyone.”

Marta Kwiatkowska, Third Year, Biochemistry

“As a fresher, I was warned about birds stealing food. At first, I thought my older friends were exaggerating, just to scare me. But on a beautiful, sunny day I walked to the seafront with my take away orderand army of seagulls surrounded me immediately. I had to drop my food and run away.

“My advice is to never eat outside in Aber. Be aware of the seagulls.”

Lloyd Nelmes, Third Year, Marine and Freshwater Biology

“I went vegan for about 2 months. It was going well, then I got really pissed on surf social and bought a kebab. I took it to my flat and I got reminded by my flat mates that I was trying to be vegan. Then dropped it down me everywhere and cried into my kebab, then finished it off.

“Advice for freshers?  Do as much fun stuff as you can in first year, do loads of sports and societies and go out and meet people. Just get yourself out there because as a third year now I’m very jealous of people being able to go to every training session of just one sport, let alone the four I’m trying to stick to this year.”

Nathan Coogan, Third Year, International Politics

“My first night of uni was amazing, but Absinthe bombs in the SU brought my night to a premature end when I was turned away from Pier Pressure for being too boozed. I thought fair one, started to walk home…

“It took me nine hours to find my way back up to halls and I walked off my drunkenness in the first six hours. The last three were basically just me trying to figure out where everything is.

“My advice would be to make as many friends as possible because when everyone is studying hard in third year you can always find someone who’s up for a drink.”

Daniela Solorzano, Third Year, French and German

“This didn’t happened to me, but to a friend. There was a Welsh social and one of the girls was wearing a sheep costume. The wanted to get into Yoko’s but the bouncers didn’t let her in because apparently her costume was dangerous and could cause a fire.

“My advice would be to never turn up to Yoko’s in sheep fancy dress.”

Audrie Christina Schneller, Second Year, Psychology

“On the very first night I arrived at university, I went on a night out and lost my keys and I couldn’t get into my apartment. It was a great start.

“My advice would be: don’t leave anything to last minute and make sure you learn to budget.”

Christina Oredeko, Third Year, International Politics

“In my first year I was always late for my lectures. I thought it was okay to sneak in and sit at the back of the lecture hall in A12. But it really isn’t. My advice is to make the most of the time here with the people you meet. It goes quickly. And don’t be late.”

Kate MacAffie, Second Year, Zoology

“My advise to freshers would be to join a sport or society – even if you just go along to a social. I went along to a Tickled Pink social last October and made so many new friends. Now I’m their Treasurer and I live with one of the girls I met through it.”