Aber climbs into the top 40 UK unis in world rankings

The only way is up

Glorious Aber has rocketed 50 places in the latest world rankings.

The latest Times Higher Education World University Rankings are out and the dark months of constant decline in league tables appear to be over. Surprisingly, Aber is the 39th out of 78 UK universities featured.

Phil Batty, Editor of the THE World University Rankings, said: “For Aberystwyth University to make 301-350 in the world is an outstanding achievement to be celebrated.”

Improvements in three league tables within two weeks? No biggie!

Whilst Aber is situated in the band of 301-350 out of 800 institutions worldwide, it is now amongst the top 40 UK universities featured in the THE ranking.

Another reason to celebrate

Professor April McMahon, the Vice-Chancellor of Aber Uni that has recently been criticised harshly for the decline in league tables, is pleased.

She said: “This is the latest in a series of league table improvements, mirrored in the most recent The Times / The Sunday Times Good University Guide and the QS World University Rankings.

“These rises confirm the growing recognition of our research and of our excellent work to improve the student experience here at Aberystwyth.”

Aber predominantly excelled due to its five pillars of teaching, research, citations, industry income and international outlook, now ranking it place 162 overall.

Given its improvements in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide (14 places), and in the QS World University Rankings (a staggering 100 places), the institution finally appears to have taken the first steps towards increasing its world wide reputation and its domestic also.