Meet the Aber freshers’ mums

We even found a Nan

Freshers may act hard on the dance floor of Yokos as they strawpedo VKs – but even the biggest badasses have their mummy’s drop them off at uni.

It was an emotional weekend of dropping off first years, so here are a few mothers trying to embarrass their children one last time before returning to the nest, and so they shared with us the best and worst things about their children going to uni.

Helen Tarling, 50, Home Help Nurse

Helen from Suffolk dropped off daughter Louise to study Biology.

The best part: “I’m just really pleased she got to uni and is doing what she wants to do.”

The worst part: “Well she’s the youngest of the children, the last one to move off to uni and I’m just going to miss her.”

Alison Hardman, 49, Cleaner

Alison and her son Larry arrived from Telford so he could study Maths.

The best part: “Just really happy for him, pleased he got to uni.”

The worst part: “I’m going to miss him a lot, he is a big big help at home and just keeps you going.”

Sue Clarke, 48, Dental Nurse

Megan’s mum had driven them down to Aber from Llandovery to get Megan settled into studying Law.

The best part: “Very proud, nothing else I can really say.”

The worst part: “The house is going to be very empty, its going to be quite sad.”

Helen Venn, 47, Teacher

Coming from Cardiff, Helen was moving daughter Alice into halls so she could begin studying Film and TV.

The best part: “So happy that she’s doing what she wants to do.”

The worst part: “Who’s going to cook?”

Frances Hardy, 72, Retired

Frances from Rochester is a tearful Nan rather than mother, but her granddaughter Kimberly is looking forward to start her degree in Social Sciences.

The best part: “She won’t be arguing with her 17 year old brother any more.”

The worst part: “No babysitter, it’s going to be hard for her to be away from the rest of the family. We all love her very much.”

Lynda Bagnell, 53, IT Receptionist

Lynda’s son Joseph is looking forward to begin his studies in Business and German having travelled to Aber from Hollyhead.

The best part: “He’ll be completely independent, live the way he wants to.”

The worst part: “He’s gone forever… Well for now anyway.”

Sue Roberts, 45, Teacher

Hailing from Portsmouth in the south, Sue dropped off her son Charlie to start his degree in International Politics.

The best part: “He’s doing what he wants, and that just makes me really proud.”

The worst part: “The house will be tidy, there won’t always be something to tidy up that he’s made a mess.”

Marcella Hamilton, 45, Administrative Officer

Son James is going to study Computer Science at Aber having driven across country from Huddersfield.

The best part: “Well for one the food will last a lot longer”

The worst part: “The ultimate drawback is that I’m going to miss him so much. It’s just really sad to see him grow up”