Goodnight sweet prince: Pantycelyn halls to close

The Welsh accommodation will be shut for electrical work

The University announced that Pantycelyn will be closed for an unknown period of time.

According to Aber Student Media the halls will be closed for a year to allow for maintenance work. Whether it will re-open is however unclear yet.

Pantycelyn is home to many Welsh speakers

The Aberystwyth Welsh Students Union are unhappy with the situation and the prospects for Pentycelyn. In a statement they told Aber Student Media: “UMCA have announced their concerns about the future of Pantycelyn Halls following a meeting with the senior officers of Aberystwyth University.”

They added: “During the last few days the senior officers of the University have decided to offer recommendations of their own to the committee on the basis of the report, which include closing Pantycelyn as a student halls in September 2015, contrary to the recommendations of the working group, and using the halls as offices for a period while the improvements are made to the building.”

Concerned students campaign against the closing of their beloved halls

The statement goes to criticise: “The recommendations do not offer any certainty or commitment in terms of a timetable to begin the work of renovating the Hall.

Welsh students have already campaigned against the closure of Pantycelyn last year. The halls, primarily occupied by Welsh speakers, is described as an “important national institution” by UMCA President Miriam Williams.

Will the Uni change their plans?

The students opposed to the closure of their halls are worried the University is not taking good care of its Welsh community.

Williams adds: “The Welsh community is fragile and needs to be protected, not destroyed.

“We call on the Finance and Strategy Committee tomorrow to accept the recommendations of the Future of Pantycelyn Working Group, and to reject the senior officers plans to close the Hall for any length of time”