A referendum is being held on whether Bibles should be removed from halls

Amen

aberystwyth bibles bibles in halls remove bibles

Brass uni officials are holding a referendum after the controversial decision to remove Bibles from halls sparked outrage.

Currently, the bedroom Bibles are available in all accommodation, but earlier this year the University discussed removing the Holy book from halls.

The referendum, which started yesterday and runs until May 4, will ask whether the Scripture should be compulsory or optional from now on.

Do you feel offended seeing a Bible on your shelf?

After more than half the PJM population surveyed by the SU complained about having compulsory Bibles in their halls, a debate inflamed during a student council earlier this year.

Uni officials deemed the Scripture “inappropriate” in a multicultural environment.

The survey revealed students felt “uncomfortable” having a free Bible in their room, and only four per cent classify the idea of having a free sample “a good idea”.

The bibles are usually provided in all University owned accommodation

Theatre, Film and Television Studies second year, Jack, told The Tab: “I really don’t know what the fuss is about.

“There’s a Bible in your room, but nobody is forcing you to read it.”

Helen, Childhood Studies second year, said: “The referendum is a good sign.

“I think it’s important they are asking us for our opinion. I think it’s important for us as students.”