Bangor smash Aber in disappointing Varsity

Not a great result

aberystwyth bangor sport varsity

Arch rivals Bangor kicked our ass in this year’s Varsity by a whopping 17 points.

The tournament, which took place at the weekend, saw Aber take home a disappointing 11 points to Bangor’s 28.

Bangor took an early lead after thrashing us in horse riding, but our tarannau cheerleaders did us proud by winning in all three of their categories: pom, basket and tumble.

Cricket also drew in their game, helping keep us afloat.

Give a cheer for Aber cheerleaders

Vice-Captain for cheerleaders Abby Cooper said: “We did brilliant, I was really proud of the team.

“We had a lot of injuries and last minute changes, so we did really well to pull it out of the bag.

“It was our first ever Varsity too, so we were pretty nervous.

“Bangor’s performance was strong. I really wasn’t sure who would get the overall win as we seemed to be on a close level, but we still won all three of our categories.”

This was followed up with a victory for the women’s netball and men’s basketball, who smashed it with a score of 65-52.

Men’s Basketball dominating in their game

Archers pushing hard before their game

Following a series of losses, however, after another hour we were back trailing behind Bangor at a score of 7-4.

Over the next coming games, Bangor won the women’s basketball, swimming and a couple others, while Aber took control of the women’s rugby union and the American football, bringing the score closer together at 8-7.

American football captain Curtis Williston said: “The game was a bit hit-and-miss, we were missing a few important guys on the team and everyone was feeling a bit rusty after the Easter break.

“We never really got going but managed to step it up in the last quarter to force overtime and get the win.

“It definitely wasn’t an easy game. We beat Bangor 20-0 in our BUCS league so we weren’t expecting such a close game.”

Aber Lacrosse in a fantastic mood prior to the games

Curtis added: “I didn’t expect us to lose overall by as much as we did.

“Losing 28 fixtures after our performance last year is definitely a disappointing result.”

Then came a crucial blow with Bangor winning the indoor rowing, netball seconds, hockey seconds and women’s football, bringing the score to 13-8.

The saving grace being us absolutely decimating in waterpolo, with a score of 22-0.

With 11 fixtures to go, Aber needed pull out the good stuff. Sadly it was not to be, and by the end of the evening the final numbers sat at 28-11.

But let’s not fret, we won Varsity for the last two years, and we sure as hell are going to win in 2016.