Uni rakes in over £85,000 in library fines

Your forgetfulness is making them a lot of money

books library library fines money skint skint student

Lazy students have been fined £15,543 since August, just for returning books late.

In the last three years, the uni has pocketed £85,971 – not bad considering it’s only money from books being handed in late.

The figures, obtained through a Freedom of Information request, also reveal £34,504 was taken from fines in the academic year 2013/2014.

It was even more the year before, with a considerable £35,932 being stashed by greedy librarians.

Did you just forget to bring back the books? Or was there not enough time to read all of them?

Interpol second year, Nathan, said: “That’s ridiculous. I’ve been fined over £10 before, and the book was only two days late.

“It’s good there is a system of fines in place, but it is unacceptable to squeeze that much money from students, who are struggling enough to make ends meet on a day to day basis.”

Rosie, second year Arts student, added: “It’s disgusting, as if we don’t have enough money troubles anyway.

“In some cases yes, it may be because students can’t be bothered to walk up and return their books, but at the same time, sometimes it can just slip your mind.

“The fines are far too steep and can add up quickly. They need to come up with a better system fair for everyone.”