Aber’s hidden gems

You’ve been missing out

Winter is over (well, it’s getting there). Stop spending so much time in your room and go to these places instead.

Forget your usual stroll on North Beach, lunch at Beechings and ready meal from Lidl, Aber has a lot more to offer.

Uni doesn’t last long.  You need to make the most of your time here and experience our beautiful seaside town before you leave.

The Tab have popped the bubble that everyone gets stuck in, there’s so much you’ve been missing.

Tan-y-Bwlch

This shining star can be found near Penparcau village on the outskirts of Aber. Simply cross the bridge by Rummers and head over back to the coast.

Tan-y-Bwlch and the nature reserve surrounding it is a great place to relax from your essay stress and that nasty hangover you’re nursing after drinking too much on Vodka Tuesday.

The Ystwyth and Rheidol river valleys are not too far away either, in case you ever fancied seeing the river that gave Aberystwyth its name.

Different Culture

Great tapas, wine and that amazing Spanish flair – what more could you want?

Ultracomida restaurant and delicatessen is only a stone’s throw away from the sea right by the Old College. If you’re in need of a little Mediterranean sun in rainy Aber, then that’s where you want to go.

After all, Lidl, Spar and Co-op are cheap, but they can’t offer much more than Cheddar cheese and a bottle of Blossom Hill that gives you the worst hangover in the morning.

Pen Dinas

This little hill with its memorial commemorating Wellington’s victory at the battle of Waterloo is a great spot for a picnic and a breathtakingly beautiful view overlooking the area around Aber.

It is quite walk from campus, but the view is extremely rewarding on a sunny day. Besides, it is a great workout if you want to shed those pounds you gained over the Christmas holidays.

Isaac’s Traditional Sweet Shop

Aber’s sweet shop on 17 Pier Street is the place to go if the idea of tons of delicious chocolate, bonbons and candy canes makes your mouth water.

If you are lucky, Isaac might even let you try his blue Raspberry bonbons. They are amazing.

And if sweets don’t float your boat then it’s worth going just to experience the atmosphere of a shop reminding of the good-old days.

Agnelli’s Italian Café & Deli

This little café offers coffee, tea and the loveliest pastries in the whole of Ceredigion. Agnelli’s pastries are not only homemade, but also fairly cheap.

There’s a lot to choose from, but try the little Nutella boats. You won’t regret it.

The Treehouse

This gem is a place most people know but never actually go to. The Treehouse is a shop for local and organic veg, fruit, bread and gluten-free food.

Cooking and an all-organic lifestyle is not your thing? The café and restaurant above the store certainly will be. The delicious homemade quiche makes the Treehouse’s cosy living-room vibe all the more loveable.

PJM Forest

The look-out in the PJM forest is simply gobsmacking. Living on campus means that the beach is quite a walk away, and so are the viewpoints on Pen Dinas and Consti.

But a walk through PJM forest will provide you with a few amazing pictures to stock up your Facebook Cover Photo collection.