Emma Hernan Selling Sunset empanadas business reviews

They cost an eyewatering $99.99 – but here are the savage reviews of Selling Sunset agent Emma Hernan’s empanadas

‘The flavour profile is all over the place and left an odd aftertaste in my mouth’

Emma Hernan’s empanadas should count as a main cast member of Selling Sunset at this point. On the Emma Leigh & Co. website, you can currently buy 36 vegan “Sausage Pizza Empanadas” for a whopping $99.99 (£74.87). That works out as $2.79 (£2.09) per 4cm-long empanada. Although, the website does specify that you get “Roughly 36” as “we ship by weight and cannot guarantee count.” Okay, then.

Emma’s empanadas (or should I say, Emma-panadas?) are also available to buy directly in some Costco, Market Basket, Roche Bros, Shaw’s Supermarket, and Stew Leonard’s shops in the US.

Some Selling Sunset viewers have criticised Emma Hernan for starting an empanadas business when she doesn’t have any Latin American heritage. The Emma Leigh & Co. website explains that frozen food is in Emma Hernan’s blood because her grandfather sold seafood in Boston.

We’ve rounded up the most brutal reviews of Emma Hernan’s empanadas so that you don’t have to fork out $99.99 to try them yourself.

‘An attack on my taste buds’

emma hernan selling sunset empanadas business

The dough kind of looks like it has acne
(Image via Emma Leigh & Co. website)

This Buzzfeed reviewer was deeply unimpressed with how the empanadas were packaged. Apparently the website said that they empanadas would arrive frozen in dry ice. The product arrived with gel cool packs, already thawed.

The journalist was definitely not a fan of the taco-flavoured empanadas. He wrote: “The flavour profile is all over the place and left an odd aftertaste in my mouth. When looking at the detailed ingredient list, we’ve got the Beyond meat, a tomato purée salsa, and a mix of a spices — two of which are apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Biting into one felt like an attack on my taste buds, so I will not be voluntarily putting a fourth one in my mouth anytime soon. If you want a ‘taco-flavoured’ anything, just buy a taco please.”

He added: “They’re just not worth the dent in your wallet. If you’re rich like Emma, though, or live in Seattle, go off.”

I’ve had better empanadas from a local gas station’

One brave Redditor decided to take one for the team and try the empanadas.

They wrote: “I got the beef and cheese flavoured ones. All in all, they were ok.

“They were small, and honestly a little bland for my tastes. They were definitely missing something. They needed more seasoning.

“I’m not an expert by any means, but I’ve had better empanadas from a local gas station.”

‘All agreed they were edible’

A team of writers at Today selflessly agreed to taste test the empanadas in the name of journalism.

The empanadas appeared eleven days after they were ordered, packaged in styrofoam.

The journalists decided they were “fairly salty… with a little bit of freezer aftertaste”.

The writers added: “They sort of tasted like a vegan version of a Totino’s pizza roll — which you could buy here in Los Angeles for only $6 a bag for about 50 rolls.

We brought them to the office and forced our coworkers to give us reviews, which can overwhelmingly be summarised as ‘just fine, I guess.’ No one was particularly impressed, but all agreed they were edible.”

Feature image via Netflix and Emma Leigh & Co.