Dexter Emma One Day

Here’s everything Dexter and Emma get up to off screen in One Day

St Swithin’s Day comes just once a year

The Netflix miniseries One Day follows nearly two decades of the life of Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morely. Each episode shows what they are up to on the 15th July. However, what happens to the ultimate friends-to-lovers, played by Leo Woodall and Ambika Mod, for the other 364 days of the year that aren’t St Swithin’s Day? The series based on the David Nicholls book of the same name does provide some context. Here is it all laid out for you. Here is what Dexter and Emma get up to off screen during One Day.

1988 to 1989

Here's everything Emma and Dexter get up off screen on One Day

After they exchange numbers after their almost one-night stand in July, Emma spends Christmas that year with Dexter’s family. In the second episode, viewers learn that Emma got a bit drunk and yelled at his Tory family about the foundation of the welfare state. The following year, we see Dexter jet around Italy while Emma tours around with a theatre group.

1989 to 1990

Emma moves to London to make it as a writer and supports herself as a waitress. Dexter has begun a career in television.

1990 to 1992

1991 sees them travel to Greece and the year prior is rather uneventful. Emma’s writing career has begun to pick up while Dexter

1992 to 1994

Dexter loses his mum and uses drinking to cope with the pain but boasts about his professional success compared to Emma. This leads them to fall out and grow up.

1994 to 1997

Dexter and Emma spend a few years apart. During their friendship hiatus, Emma breaks up with her fianceé Ian while Dexter gets engaged to Sylvie, who is expecting their first baby.

1998 to 1999

One Day ending

Emma moves to Paris and Dexter beings divorce proceedings from Sylvie. The reason for their split is Sylvie cheating on him with his best friend.

1999 to 2002

Dexter and Emma get married and begin to work on their own endeavours; Emma starts a new novel while Dexter works to open a business. However, their world is turned upside down when Emma dies after she gets hit by a car.

2002 to 2007

Dexter struggles to cope with the second wave of grief in his life, resorting to old patterns of self-destructive behaviour like drinking and partying. However, he pulls it together, becoming a successful business owner and father to Jas.

One Day is available to watch on Netflix now. For more like this One Day story and all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.

Related stories recommended by this writer

Now you’ve finished crying, here’s where you can watch the cast of One Day next

• One Day’s author reveals one huge way Netflix’s series differs from the book

• From One Day to Saltburn: Here are the worst accents in our favourite film and TV, ranked