Mike Flanagan evil characters

A harrowing roundup of the most evil characters from Mike Flanagan’s Netflix shows

Bev from Midnight Mass keeps me up at night

Mike Flanagan is the master of giving us spooks, scares and jawdropping evil every Halloween for Netflix. From The Haunting of Hill House to The Fall of the House of Usher, Mike Flanagan and his troupe of regular actors manage to give us new evil people to hate and pity every year. Here’s a roundup of the most evil characters across all of the Mike Flanagan shows on Netflix.

Peter Quint – The Haunting of Bly Manor

Mike Flanagan evil characters

Via Netflix

Oliver Jackson-Cohen plays the suave but deeply manipulative Peter Quint, who falls for Rebecca Jessel. He was robbing from Bly Manor, he got caught by The Lady of the Lake who killed him and made him into a ghost. As a ghost, he was more than willing to permanently possess Miles and Flora to stay with Rebecca forever – and he also drowned Rebecca in the lake to make her a ghost like him.

Dr. Stanton – The Midnight Club

Via Netflix

Horror icon Heather Langenkamp was onboard for The Midnight Club, playing Dr Georgina Stanton – the woman running Brightcliffe Hospice. She’s a mysterious villain on this list, because in the final moments it’s revealed she’s got a cultist tattoo. It’s ambiguous as to how villainous she is, but something certainly is UP.

Bev Keane – Midnight Mass

Mike Flanagan evil characters

Via Netflix

Of everyone on this list of evil Mike Flanagan characters, I think it’s Bev Keane who is for me the most hated. Blurgh. Over-zealous religious fanatic turned maniacal vampire leader who burns down the whole island at the end, inevitably the fault of her own downfall. Also, it’s heavily implied she killed a dog… Scum.

Verna – The Fall of the House of Usher

Via Netflix

Whilst not truly evil in a sadistic way, the demon Verna rampages through The Fall of the House of Usher killing off all the Usher children in brutal ways, and Carla Gugino plays her perfectly.

Shasta / Julia – The Midnight Club

Via Netflix

Shasta / Julia seemed like Ilonka’s friend for the entirety of The Midnight Club, until it was revealed she was going to use witchcraft in a ritual unlike the one they’d prepared to kill everyone and preserve her own life. Yikes.

The Ushers

Via Netflix

In the Poe ode The Fall of the House of Usher, Mike Flanagan made his most evil characters his protagonists. The Ushers are pure corporate rich evil, big Pharma greed and egos. They’d do anything to keep their power and influence and status.

The Angel – Midnight Mass

Via Netflix

An ancient, primordial evil vampiric creature whose attack on Pruitt caused the entire events of Midnight Mass to unfold on the island.

Viola / The Lady in the Lake – The Haunting of Bly Manor

Poor Viola went through the wringer, falling ill and then being “mercy” killed by her sister. She then hauntsd the grounds and house of Bly Manor, killing anyone who was in her way during her daily routine of leaving the lake and roaming about a bit. She qualifies for the list even though she’s a tragic villain because it’s a bit savage she just killed willy nilly, to be honest.

Hill House

Via Netflix

The most evil, despicable and villainous out of all the Mike Flanagan characters is not even a person at all. No, it’s the titular house from The Haunting of Hill House. The festering evil within its walls is the reason everything awful befalls the Crain family – and the house thrives on despair and horror. The stomach of the house, the Red Room, alters its state to trick people into it and maximise trauma. A really, really evil place… and a harrowing living organism of terror.

For all the latest horror news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.