Rishi Sunak says he took money away from ‘deprived’ areas in new leaked clip

He was addressing Tory members in Tunbridge Wells

A clip of Rishi Sunak has surfaced showing him saying he has taken money away from “deprived urban areas” in order to give it to other parts of the country.

In the video Rishi Sunak is addressing Tory members in Tunbridge Wells whilst on the leadership campaign trail in July.

The video obtained by the New Statesman hears Rishi saying: “I managed to start changing the funding formulas to make sure areas like this are getting the funding they deserved.”

He continues: “We inherited a bunch of formulas from Labour that shoved all the funding into deprived urban areas that needed to be undone. I started the work of undoing that.”

Lisa Nandy, the shadow leveling up secretary, expressed anger at the video. She said: “This leadership race is revealing the Conservatives’ true colours. It’s scandalous that Rishi Sunak is openly boasting that he fixed the rules to funnel taxpayers’ money to prosperous Tory shires. This is our money. It should be distributed fairly and spent where it’s most needed – not used as a bribe to Tory members.”

The Tab has contacted Rishi Sunak for comment.

One in 10 students think Tories should be barred from campus