Netflix’s next shocking true crime is about a decades old mystery of a woman’s identity

Girl in the Picture is from the director of Abducted In Plain Sight

True crime is officially coming back, as Netflix has announced another twisted and dark case it’s going to be exploring. The new documentary hitting Netflix next month is called Girl in the Picture, and follows a decades old mystery of a woman’s identity.

The documentary looks into the strange case of a woman known as Sharon Marshall – however it doesn’t look like anyone truly knows who she was before her death. Here’s what you need to know about the doc, ahead of its upcoming release next month.

New Netflix true crime documentary Girl in the Picture

via Netflix

Girl in the Picture is all about a woman who was known as Sharon Marshall

This jaw-dropping true crime explores the story of a search to solve a 30-year old mystery: Who was Sharon Marshall, and why was her real identity unknown to everyone – even her?

The case is about a young mother’s mysterious death, and her son’s subsequent kidnapping. This blew open a decades-long mystery about the woman’s true identity, and the murderous federal fugitive at the centre of it all. The case was investigated by journalist Matt Birkbeck – who wrote his international bestseller, A Beautiful Child, and its follow-up, Finding Sharon, all about the heartbreaking story. The woman, known as Sharon Marshall, was caught in a twisted web of the evil man she called her father, and didn’t even know Sharon wasn’t her real name.

via Netflix

The Netflix synopsis for Girl in the Picture reads: “In this documentary, a woman found dying by a road leaves behind a son, a man claiming to be her husband — and a mystery that unfolds like a nightmare.”

Birkbeck appears in the Netflix documentary, discussing what they found in the investigation. The documentary is directed by Skye Borgman, who you might know as being behind Abducted In Plain Sight – which was definitely one of the wildest true crime documentaries of all time.

As well as the documentary, Netflix will be releasing an accompanying podcast. The five-part podcast series will be available in the You Can’t Make This Up podcast feed starting on June 29th. This will cover Sharon Marshall’s life and death and look further into her mystery.

Watch the trailer for Girl in the Picture on Netflix here:

Girl in the Picture will be available on Netflix from July 6th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.