Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey has been called the ‘most traumatising’ Netflix true crime ever

‘I am gobsmacked’

This week, a new true crime has dropped on Netflix called Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey. It tells the harrowing true story of a polygamous cult, and viewers of the show are calling it the most traumatising thing they have ever watched.

The four-part series takes us inside the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), a denomination of Mormonism. Here’s what the show is about, and what has been said about it so far.

Reviews and reactions to true crime documentary Keep Sweet Pray and Obey on Netflix

via Netflix

Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey on Netflix explores the secretive polygamous cult of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS)

Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey focuses on a US polygamous cult led by Warren Jeffs, who to followers was the leader or “prophet” of the group. The group saw hundreds of women and children abused on a daily basis.

In 2008, a dramatic raid at the Yearning for Zion Ranch in West Texas generated attention around the world, as law enforcement agents uncovered stunning evidence of sexual, physical and psychological abuse and took 400+ children into custody. Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey gives viewers an in-depth look into the secretive polygamous sect of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) and the rise of self-professed prophet Warren Jeffs.

The four-part documentary series features never-before-seen archival footage and harrowing personal stories from some of the courageous women and men who escaped. From forced underage marriage and pregnancy to a complete unraveling into an oppressive criminal cult under Warren Jeffs’ rule, the story uncovers extraordinary bravery battling tyrannical control in modern America.

via Netfix

People are saying it’s one of the most traumatising shows they have ever watched on Netflix

Reviews of the show call it “engrossing”, “chilling” and “uncomfortable”. “Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey is an engrossing and chilling documentary series that explains how a monstrous cult ran members’ lives, pushed polygamy and forced underage girls into marriage,” the Chicago Sun Times writes. Decider adds the series is definitely worth a watch, but warns viewers “be ready for a narrative that will make you uncomfortable and angry at the same time.”

Viewers on Twitter definitely aren’t holding back with their opinions, and have been left feeling “traumatised” by the “fascinating and shocking” documentary. Others have called it “crazy” and said it has given them nightmares.

Watch the trailer for Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey on Netflix here

Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.