molly-mae clothes

Molly-Mae is selling her old clothes as part of PLT’s new Depop style feature

‘I’ve got hundreds of PLT pieces…it will be great to encourage people to buy them off me’

Molly-Mae will be selling her old clothes as part of a new Depop style feature on PrettyLittleThing, with the proceeds going to charity.

Yesterday Molly-Mae introduced PrettyLittleThing’s new resell feature to Retail Gazette, saying the feature would be part of the app and allow customers to resell their old clothes from PrettyLittleThing and a variety of stores.

Molly-Mae said the move would encourage young women to shop more sustainably.

She said: “It’s not going to be just PLT pieces – you can sell pretty much anything on there, which is obviously encouraging sustainability hugely. It’s encouraging girls to think ‘this is actually in really great condition I don’t need to chuck it away why not encourage someone else to buy it’.”

There is currently no date for when the feature will launch but Molly-Mae said the team had been working on the launch for “months” and it has the “potential to really disrupt the fashion industry”.

via Instagram @mollymae

As part of the launch for the resell marketplace Molly-Mae will be selling her own clothes and donating the proceeds to charity.

She told Retail Gazette: “I’ve got hundreds of PLT pieces…it will be great to encourage people to buy them off me.”

PrettyLittleThing has previously been criticised for encouraging shoppers to engage in throwaway culture of items and continual purchasing. During their Black Friday sale in 2020 the brand was selling items for as little as 8p.

Molly-Mae was recently appointed creative director of PrettyLittleThing and told The Sun she often works for the brand 9am to 10pm.

She said: “One day I’ll come in at 9am and won’t leave until 10pm – it doesn’t stop. I wasn’t surprised by the amount of hard work that goes into being creative director because I think I’d gradually taken the role on.”

via Instagram @mollymae

Since her appointment to the role Molly-Mae has been planning her first fashion show for PrettyLittleThing and as part of this show she wants to improve the brand’s “throwaway” reputation.

Speaking on her upcoming collection, Molly-Mae said she wants customers to “love” the pieces and “wear them constantly”.

She told Retail Gazette: “One thing I will say is our people that produce and work on our garments don’t work day-in day-out on these pieces for them to be throwaway fashion. We want people to love these garments and wear them constantly.

“With this collection we’ve worked really hard and created pieces that will be timeless, and that girls can keep in their wardrobes, so it’s not throwaway fashion.”

Featured image credit via Instagram @mollymae