gcse-topics

A-Level and GCSE students to be told which topics are set to come up on their exam papers

Exam boards will adopt a ‘a generous approach to grading’

A-Level and GCSE students are to be given some of the “content, texts, topics and sub-topics, themes and skills” that will feature in their summer exams.

This will be the first exam season back after two year’s of teacher-assessed grades.

The government has explained that while the exact questions won’t be provided, the new measure will hopefully “focus students’ revision” and “mitigate the impact of the pandemic on education.”

In subjects like English Language, students will be told the period and genre of unseen texts, while in science and maths, students will be provided with equation sheets.

Information will not be provided ahead of exams in subjects like English Literature, History and Geography, but the range of potential topics will be condensed to help concentrate revision.

Ofqual Chief Regulator Dr Jo Saxton said there will also be a “safety-net” and “a generous approach to grading.”

Education Secretary, Nadhim Zahawi said: “Exams are the best and fairest form of assessment, and we firmly intend for them to take place this summer, giving students a fair chance to show what they know.

“We know students have faced challenges during the pandemic, which is why we’ve put fairness for them at the forefront of our plans. The information to help with their revision published today, as well as the range of other adaptations, will make sure they can do themselves justice in their exams this summer.”

This year is being seen as “a transition year,” with normal grading to resume over the course of the next two years.

Featured image credit: Shutterstock / roibu