This girl on TikTok thinks she could be Madeleine McCann and people are *mad* at her

‘On which planet is this considered funny?’

Someone on TikTok has gone viral sharing a theory that she could be missing girl Madeleine McCann, and people have not found her “joke” very funny at all.

The video, which has over four million views, begins with captions which read: “My mates joke about me being Madeleine McCann.” It then goes on to claim that the girl in the video was staying in the Praia da Luz area, where three-year-old Madeleine disappeared from, at the same time as the disappearance.

The clip concludes with a picture of Madeleine, compared to a picture of her as a child – where they do like strikingly similar. Madeleine McCann has an eye condition known as a Coloboma, which is extremely rare and means she has a freckle under her pupil – it appears the girl in the TikTok video may have something similar too.

@user000503200700##fyp ##madeleinemccann ##madeline ##viral ##uSeRnAmE ##throwback

♬ ghost town voice memo (full version out now) – chloe george

Despite the video showing a few similarities between the two girls, and beginning with it being a “joke”, people in the comments haven’t taken to it very well. Whilst some encourage the unnamed TikTok user to “get a DNA test now” and “contact Maddie’s family”, others have said it’s “sick” and asked “why would someone joke about this?”. Another comment added: “On which planet is this considered funny?”

Next week would mark Madeleine McCann’s 18th birthday, and parents Kate and Gerry have released a new statement saying they still “hang onto hope” that they will find her.

In a statement posted on the Find Madeleine website, the McCanns said: “We need to know what has happened to our lovely daughter. Every May is tough – a reminder of years passed, of years together lost, or stolen. This year it is particularly poignant as we should be celebrating Madeleine’s 18th birthday.”

Madeleine McCann, latest, TikTok, user, sighting, missing

The statement continued: “The COVID pandemic has made this year even more difficult for many reasons but thankfully the investigation to find Madeleine and her abductor has continued. We hang on to the hope, however small, that we will see Madeleine again.

“As we have said repeatedly, we need to know what has happened to our lovely daughter, no matter what. We are very grateful to the police for their continued efforts.We still receive so many positive words and good wishes despite the years that have gone by. It all helps and for that we are truly grateful – thank you.”

Madeleine went missing from the family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, Portugal, on May 3rd 2o07.