tiktok food, pancake cereal, toaster tortilla, tomato and feta

Pancake cereal to toaster tortillas: Ranking hyped TikTok foods on how awful they are

Feta and tomatoes ain’t it either

TikTok is good for so many things, but recommending food items and recipes is often not one of them. It’s an age-old social media tactic that any food that involves either a stupid amount of effort or a novelty of some sort will go completely viral – that much is clear to see from the likes of dalgona coffee (which is totally not worth the effort) and the latest tomato and feta pasta trend (it’s literally just pasta guys). But which is the absolute worst TikTok food trend of all time?

Well, fellow cynics, I have brought you here today to join me on a guided tour through a list of what I believe to be the most deplorable crimes against culinary excellence on TikTok to this date, from best to absolute worst. You thought it ended with putting tortillas in the toaster, didn’t you? How wrong you were.

9. Coffee in McDonald’s milkshake

@loopylou2020Honestly this isn’t too shabby 😂 #milkshake #mcdonalds #hack #esppresso #doubleshotespresso #foryoupage♬ original sound – Gabe Dingemans

At the top of the list of terrible TikTok food (ie the least offensive) is coffee in McDonald’s milkshake. Although it may well be vanilla with a side serving of coronary heart disease, you can’t deny that this is likely delicious, it’s easy to prepare and on the whole, there’s not a lot to complain about here.

8. Little Moons

@jenngoddenbuying ##littlemoons from big tesco ##fyp ##foryou♬ Super flat lad – Matthew_carlin_

WHAT?! Real cold hard ice cream that you can hold with your bare hands?! The criminally overhyped TikTok foodstuff of 2021 is by far the little frozen Tesco balls otherwise known as Little Moons, that have been sold out in stores across the UK this week. They look okay, but they’re mad expensive (I saw them sold for £4.5o) and at the end of the day, it’s just handheld ice cream, you wronguns.

7. Whipped strawberry milk

If coffee in a McDonald’s milkshake is little effort for maximum reward, then the whipped strawberry milk is the direct opposite. What would make someone go through the effort of whipping this drink up is nothing short of TikTok-induced insanity, so I’m glad to have done my part by placing it on this list.

If you’re a psycho and want to make this for yourself – here’s our guide.

6. Oreo mug cake

@salt_to_tasteOreo Mug-cake. very simple and delicious. try it once and give your feedbacks. Keep smiling 😃♬ original sound – Salt to taste

Let’s get one thing clear – nobody in the existence of mankind has ever made a mug cake in the microwave that is either delicious or resembles anything close to cake, and this Oreo mug cake is likely no exception.

5. Nacho/freezer food table

@macklmao#voiceeffects thank you tik tok for the nacho table idea bless up #fyp #nachotable♬ A Moment Apart – ODESZA – Hannah Stater (she/her)

A whole war crime occurred in the above clip.

Less a recipe and more an all-out bastardisation of everything we thought we knew about the civilised nature of dinnertime, it boils my blood every time I see people covering their kitchen island or dining table with foil just to pour mountains of freezer food and nachos on top. Do you not realise it will go cold? Isn’t the whole thing a little unsanitary given the current circumstances? What is wrong with you!

4. Toaster wraps

@viking_davidson ♬ original sound – Cody Davidson

Sandwiches? Quesedillas? Enchiladas? Nah, there’s a much more life-endagering option to putting fillings in bread, and it involves folding a tortilla into a pocket and popping it into a toaster, potentially causing significant damage to yourself as well as your electrical appliances in the process.

I can’t see how this is any more convenient than folding a wrap and sticking it in a pan/microwave.

3. Tomato and feta pasta

@feelgoodfoodieBaked feta pasta with cherry tomatoes!! Recipe on blog • Inspired by @grilledcheesesocial 😘 #tiktokpartner #learontiktok #fetapasta #recipes♬ original sound – Feel Good Foodie

Now hear me out – this looks delicious, and it clearly tastes delicious otherwise people wouldn’t be losing their shit to such an extent. My issue here is not the dish itself, but rather the revelation to some people that you can roast vegetables, chuck them into a pasta and have a meal at the end of it. Have you not cooked before?

It’s going to be earthshattering when they find out that they can strain pasta using a colander!

2. Dalgona coffee

@makingmelanie#dalgonacoffee but make it faster and with less dishes ✨ #foryou♬ Vibe (If I Back It Up) – Cookiee Kawaii

The runner up for the coveted all-time worst TikTok recipe award is dalgona coffee. Another day, another TikTok drink that 100 per cent requires more effort than it’s worth, and nobody has made dalgona coffee since we were all freshly locked down and Tiger King was all we were watching – and that’s exactly where it should stay.

1. Pancake cereal

@istayfunny19Cereal pancakes inspired by @sydneymelhoff 🥞😜 #tiktokfoodie #fyp #pancake #minipancakes♬ BORED IN THE HOUSE – Curtis Roach

Aaaand finally at the number one spot for awful TikTok food we have pancake cereal, and I’ve got to be cereally (sorry) honest here by saying: What the actual fuck? Everything about this doesn’t make sense, from having soggy pancakes saturated in milk to the sheer effort involved in producing a minimum of 20 miniature pancakes as a breakfast.

Sorry I’m late, I was cooking… pancake cereal… for breakfast…