Image may contain: Female, Face, Shelf, Human, Person

Sandi Toksvig just officially quit Bake Off

BUT NOEL WILL BE SO LONELY!?

Sandi Toksvig announced today that she is officially quitting The Great British Bake Off to "focus on other projects".

She said: "When stepping down from a job it is quite common for people to say they are doing so in order to spend more time with their family.

"Unusually, I am departing from the Great British Bake Off so I can spend more time with my other work. As my waistline will testify, Bake Off is an all-consuming show.

"Spending time with Prue, Paul and Noel has been one of the great pleasures of my life. These are friendships which I know will continue beyond the confines of television.

"Bake Off is a wonderful programme which has already proved it can happily withstand a change of hosting personnel. The reason for that, of course, is that the true stars of the show are the bakers themselves. I wish everyone well."

Sandi has presented Bake Off for the past three years, alongside co-host Noel Fielding. Noel has yet to comment on Sandi's departure, but when he does I'm sure it will be enough to bring us all to tears.

It is currently unknown who will replace Sandi in the next series, but she will feature one last time as presenter of Bake Off for the Celebrity Special, which has already been filmed. The Celebrity Special is set to have an all star cast including Louis Theroux, Ovie Soko and Tan France.

Speaking on Sandi's departure, Ian Katz, Channel 4's director of programmes, said: "Sandi is a huge part of why Bake Off's move to Channel 4 has been such a success and we are immensely grateful for her contribution to the show.

"We will miss her warmth and wit, not to mention her endless willingness to be the butt of jokes about being the least tall person in the Bake Off tent.

"Fortunately, her unique voice will continue to have an important presence on the channel with new shows in development – none of which involve cake."

So Sandi is due to stick around Channel 4, just not on Bake Off. Heartbroken is an understatement, to be honest.

Related stories recommended by this writer

Ovie, Louis Theroux and Tan France: Meet the cast of Celebrity Bake Off 2020

Here’s what all the Great British Bake Off winners are up to now

Fluffed lines and washing up: The secrets of the Bake Off tent