Are you actually smart enough to get into Oxbridge?

If you can answer half of these questions you’re a genius

Hide Images

Every year Oxford release a sample of their interview questions, they’re usually really difficult, thought provoking and occasionally just plain weird.

Sample questions came out a few weeks ago, ahead of the interviews that are currently taking place for shortlisted applicants.

The questions are:

•Is war the opposite of politics?

•What is the significance of the brain’s ‘face area’, and it being stimulated when people see and recognise faces?

The questions aren’t necessarily about getting a right answer. They’re more about critical thinking skills.

Professor Nick Yeung, a professor of neuroscience at Oxford explained: “Because one of the really important things that we want to look at is, how does the person think when they don’t already know the answer.”

Still, I swear they get more difficult as the years go on.

See if you could actually answer any of the below questions and if you can, you’re Oxbridge material.

Oxford 2014

Q: How much of the past can you count?

Q: Why do some habitats support higher biodiversity than others?

Q: An experiment appears to suggest Welsh speakers are worse at remembering phone numbers than English speakers. Why?

Oxford 2015

Q: Do Bankers deserve the pay they receive? And should government do something to limit how much they get?

Q: Why is sugar in your urine a good indicator that you might have diabetes?

Q: Imagine that 100 people all put £1 into a pot for a prize that will go to the winner of a simple game. Each person has to choose a number between 0 and 100. The prize goes to the person whose number is closest to 2/3 of the average of all of the numbers chosen. What number will you choose, and why?

Q: Can archaeology ‘prove’ or ‘disprove’ the Bible?

Oxford 2016

Q: What makes a novel or play ‘political’?

Q. About 1 in 4 deaths in the UK is due to some form of cancer, yet in the Philippines the figure is only around 1 in 10. What factors might underlie this difference?

Q: What exactly do you think is involved in blaming someone?

Q: A large study appears to show that older siblings consistently score higher than younger siblings on IQ tests. Why would this be?

Oxford 2017

Q: ‘I agree that air transport contributes to harmful climate change. But whether or not I make a given plane journey, the plane will fly anyway. So there is no moral reason for me to not travel by plane.’ Is this a convincing argument?

Q: Put these countries in order by their crude mortality (deaths per thousand of the population): Bangladesh, Japan, South Africa, the UK.

Oxford 2018

Q: The viruses that infect us are totally dependent on human cells for their reproduction; is it therefore surprising that viruses cause human diseases?

Q: What are the different ways in which you listen to music? How does that change the way in which you think about what you’re listening to?

Q: How many different molecules can be made from six carbon atoms and twelve hydrogen atoms?

Q: How can we estimate the mass of the atmosphere?

Q: What can historians not find out about the past?