Five hour long queue at the Union’s biggest event of this term

Union big dogs enjoy their dinner while people are left freezing

People were left queueing for five hours to get entry to tonight’s Union debate.

The debate welcomes Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg to the discuss the UK’s future as a member of the European Union.

Set to be a particularly heated discussion, the event page saw an enormous amount of interest.

But due to the Union’s complete failure to organise any form of balloting system for general entrance, people have been queuing in the freezing cold from as early as 3pm.

Many have expressed their opinions on the event Facebook page, questioning how anyone could expect working Oxford students to take five hours out of their day to stand outside the building.

Photo Cred: Rory Cox

St. Catz second year Dan Walker, highlighted students’ main concerns: “Is this being streamed live? Just for those of us who would really like to watch it but unfortunately go to Oxford so can’t wait for four hours in a queue in the freezing cold because for some reason you’ve decided not do a ballot.”

Other Facebook users commented: “I don’t even know what I paid for by joining?” and “Maybe we should have a debate at the Union about the queueing system at the Union?”

Not only is the lack of a balloting system a cause for concern, but students are still queuing outside the Union now, having been told no information about how many are likely to get into the event. The queue is said to have reached the corner of New Inn Hall Street.

Photo cred: Joe Russell

With a seating capacity of 450, and guaranteed access to the committee and dinner guests, hundreds of those queueing will be disappointed.

First year Alex Curtis, described today’s events as an “absolute joke. Five hour queues simply represent complete mismanagement of the event.”

Eight benches have been reserved just for those on the Union committee. Liam Saddington, who queued from 3.15pm this afternoon, added: “After being let into to the chamber, we were surprised to see eight entire rows reserved. Given the interest in the event and the number of people who have queued for up to four hours, it doesn’t exactly seem fair.”

Meanwhile inside the chamber

It seems the most frustrating part for the queuing (note: freezing) students is the lack of communication from the Union, who in their heightened state of arrogance graced the public with absolutely no information as to how long the queue was.

This isn’t the first time the Union’s organisation skills have been called into question.

Last year saw people queuing for up to eight hours in the rain to see Morgan Freeman.

At 6.00pm, (three hours after people began to queue) the Union finally issued a statement.