National hub for aerospace engineering to be built on campus

The project will cost almost £10 million

Loughborough University is set to become the national hub of aerospace engineering and technology after a recent multi-million pound Government investment.

Business Minister, Anna Soubry MP, made the announcement earlier this week and revealed plans for the £9.8 million facility are already underway, with the project set to be complete by early 2018.

The National Centre of Excellence in Gas Turbine Combustion System Aerodynamics will focus on the development of low-emission aerospace combustion systems.  Loughborough favourite, Rolls-Royce, will be a leading partner throughout the project, building upon the existing relationship between the two.

What could make it more beautiful?

Professor Robert Allison VC said: “The University is delighted to be developing this National Centre of Excellence.

“Loughborough has a long tradition of working closely with industry, aligning its research activities with the requirements of companies and organisations.”

Dr Simon Weeks, Chief Technology Officer of the Aerospace Technology Institute claimed the project will maintain the UK’s position as a frontrunner of gas turbine combustion and aircraft engines.

Chris Barkey, Director of Engineering & Technology at Rolls-Royce said: “By enabling closer cooperation between the university and industry, it will also help train the next generation of highly skilled engineers and scientists.”