Young woman missing after falling into river on Friday

Police are appealing for information

Last Friday, a woman in her early 20s fell from Lendal Bridge in York city centre. Almost a week later she still remains missing. The incident occurred around midday on Friday 30th October, the North Yorkshire Police Force are continuing to appeal to the public for anyone in that area at the time to come forward.

The woman is described as “white, aged in her early 20s, with purple or red hair and was wearing a black coat with a buckle across the middle, black skinny jeans, black boots with red or purple socks pulled over the top of black ankle boots.”

She was also said to be holding some A4 sized white paper.

Police searched the Ouse across the weekend and efforts have continued into this week. The enquiry is seeking to confirm both her identity and her movements prior to midday on the Friday. There have been extensive efforts to search both the river bank and the use of underwater search teams.

The police are particularly interested in any photos taken between 11:50am and 12:05pm on or around the bridge, this includes any dash cam footage from drivers on the bridge at the time.

Witnesses to the incident or anyone with information are being asked to come forward and to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1 and speak to the ‘Force Control Room’.

Quote the reference number 12200190737.

You can keep up to date with this story on the North Yorkshire Police website.

Relates stories recommended by this writer:

University of York student areas see decrease in Covid rates

• Students isolating at York told to wait in their rooms in the event of a fire alarm

• A York intern continued to work on campus after pleading guilty to rape