ROSES 2017: ROSES ARE WHITE!

50 different sports were played throughout the week

Roses are white once more as York regained the title in a blistering fashion. York finished the weekend with an amazing 206.5 points compared to Lancaster’s 159.5, which massively exceeds the 183.5 points required for the win.

The weekend kicked off with Basketball in the new York Sport Arena on Hes West with both men’s teams winning in spectacular fashion.

Other highlights over the weekend include Lacrosse with both York teams winning comfortably. A moving tribute was given to the late Charlie Watkins, who was heavily involved with Lacrosse during his time at York. The tribute spoke volumes over how much he will be missed by those who knew him.

UYNC 3s celebrating their win!

Roses history was also made with Men’s 1st Football taking place within the Athletics track for the first time. Unfortunately, they lost 1-0 in a closely fought match.

This year, we also saw some rather unusual sports have their limelight such as Pokemon and Kendo of which York were victorious in.

Isaac Beevor, York Sports Union President had this to say about this year’s Roses:

“Roses has been absolutely incredible this year. It was a close race at times but to pull away like we did was amazing. I think my highlight has to be the basketball, the atmosphere was electric! We also managed to raise close to £3,000 in online and bucket collections for York and Lancashire Mind. Another incredible achievement. To win Roses, raise awareness for Mental Health, and raise a lot of money for York and Lancashire Mind seems like a pretty successful weekend to me.”