Woman raped near University of York

Police have urged students to stick together on nights out

Students have been urged to help catch a rapist who attacked a woman on Walmgate Stray, near the University of York.

The woman in her 20s, was attacked at around 2.15am on Friday May 13th as she walked towards Walmgate Stray, the narrow lane from Wentworth College to the Barracks, however the crime has only recently been reported.

Detectives have asked students with any information to contact North Yorkshire police.

Det Insp Mark Pearson from the Major Crime Unit has asked students: “Were you out and about at the time, did you see anyone matching the man’s description?”

The attacked is described as black, of medium build, aged between 20 to 30 and around 5ft 6in to 5ft 10in tall. He was wearing a dark coloured hoodie top.

The victim is now receiving support from specially trained officers and partner agencies and a policing team will be carrying out reassurance patrols in the area.

DI Pearson said: “Sexual attacks by strangers are rare. However, when they do occur, they can cause alarm in the local community. Our advice to anyone who studies, lives or works in the area is to adhere to our usual safety advice when out and about at night. Always stick together with your friends and get a taxi home.

“For students, the university security staff can help you with taxis and escorts across campus at night.”

Many students have complained in the past about feeling unsafe on Walmgate Stray, near the Heslington Campus, due to a complete lack of lighting. YUSU President Ben Leatham has campaigned to implement lighting and as a result of his efforts luminous disks will be installed along the path.

*Anyone with any information which could help North Yorkshire Police investigate the crime should call 101, select option 2 and ask for the Major Crime Unit. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote reference 12160089860.