Applications to join The Warwick Tab’s editorial team are now OPEN

Applications close on 26th April

The Warwick Tab are now finally recruiting for our 2023/24 editorial team! From breaking news stories around campus, fun features and exciting guides, The Tab offers great industry experience for anyone interested in journalism.

The positions available are Editor-in-Chief, News Editor, Features Editor, Social Media Editor and TikTok Editor.

Applications from all students are welcome regardless of previous experience, year or degree, but you do have to attend the University of Warwick (I feel like this is obvious, but still). You’ll have training from experienced editors to get you up and running and even work with a professional journalist at Tab HQ!

The deadline for applications is 23:59 Wednesday 26th April

You don’t need to have written for The Warwick Tab before, but, as these are editorial roles, some journalistic experience would certainly help. This could include work from other publications or personal blogs etc. – regardless, give it a go!

Most of all, we’re looking for somebody who is enthusiastic about Warwick and student life. We want someone with energy, charisma and dedication.

Any questions? Feel free to contact our Editor in Chief Chris via Insta or email ([email protected])!

Editor in Chief

As Editor in Chief you’ll oversee the entire team of writers and lead the direction of our coverage.

You should be prepared to write your own pieces throughout the year and help the team in breaking the biggest stories on campus. You will also be in charge of ensuring all content both written and social is consistent with The Warwick Tab’s standard of quality and tone of voice.

You’ll also be the main link to The Tab HQ and be supported by the team at HQ running The Warwick Tab team.

The role is incredibly rewarding and a great experience to have no matter what career you go into later. Managing a large team in a fast-paced and exciting environment, you should be friendly and supportive to new and existing writers; thorough in editing articles and have a keen eye for the stories that will make an impact.

Having experience as Editor-in-Chief at a publication with thousands of reads per article grants you the experience to connect directly with the industry of writing and journalism, as well as develop leadership skills along the way.

News Editor

You’ll be responsible for making sure The Warwick Tab continues to chase the biggest and most exciting scoops across campus.

This role often involves needing to react to fast-paced and changing stories as they develop on the day. You need to be able to sniff out a good story when you see one. You will also need to contact organisations and people for comment, as well as fact check and provide sources. Employers generally love News roles – they prove you’re quick under pressure, attentive and sharp. Above all, you will hold the responsibility to bring important news stories to audiences around Warwick university – making a difference and providing stories to the public.

You’ll work alongside the Editor-in-Chief to write weekly and edit articles.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

• Warwick student with cancer wins £12,000 payout after university denied extension request

• Fire at the University of Warwick’s Physics building leads to student evacuations

• Man stabbed near Leamington bandstands in the Pump Room Gardens

Features Editor

As Features Editor you’ll be in charge of writing and editing the most fun and ridiculous feature pieces.

You’ll be able to cover every aspect of student life from nightlife to fashion and food. There’s a lot of room to be creative in this role and we want someone who is witty, opinionated and knows what’s relevant to students. These articles are full of fun, and students absolutely love reading them – so you’ll garner a big audience for sure.

I visited TikTok’s favourite chip shop: Binley Mega Chippy

• We’re back! Here are six more of Leamington Spa’s best dinner date spots

• These are the best places in Leam to spend Valentine’s Day alone

Social Media Editor

As Social Media Editor you’ll have creative control over our Instagram, Twitter and Facebook: all of which have a reach of around 20,000 followers!

You will have an eye for the latest trends, memes and aesthetics as well as coming up with creative TikTok ideas to help develop our video journalism. We want you to keep up with Warwick gossip, create fun and engaging polls on the Insta stories and work to grow all the social media accounts.

The Warwick influence and impact across campus are reliant on a top-notch social media game. This job is suited to someone who loves the ins and outs of social media and wants to gain some real experience (which looks great on your CV).

TikTok Editor

We’re looking to fully launch The Warwick Tab TikTok ASAP and want someone to grow the page and gain followers. You need to think of creative ways to incorporate the latest TikTok trends and audios into relatable Warwick content. This role is suited to someone who is very outgoing, happy to be on camera and interview other students. You will also need to have an eye for video-editing on the app. Are you ready to become a viral TikTok star?

If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to apply for any of the advertised roles, please fill out the Google form below. We’d love to hear from all of you and if in doubt, just go for it! Good luck!