Warwick’s 6 Biggest Sports Clubs

The Tab gives you a breakdown of 6 top sports clubs at Warwick…

On 1st October, hundreds of Warwick Freshers flooded into the Sports Centre to attend the Sports Fair, hoping to get an insight into the clubs that many of them will be associated with for much of their university careers. For anyone who may have missed out (Freshers hangover anyone?), The Tab have provided you a quick breakdown of six of  the biggest clubs on campus.

Men’s Football

Club Captain: Tom Channing

As one of the largest clubs on campus, these guys have some of the finest university football pitches in the UK on which their four teams can train and play. The club has gone from strength to strength both on and off the pitch, winning Warwick Sport Club of the year in 2011 and narrowly missing out on promotion into the BUCS MARS Football – Premier North last season.

Athletics & Cross Country

Athletics Captain: Georges Vacharopolous

XC & Distance Captains: Tom Newman & Laura Whitehead

Warwick Athletics and Cross Country caters for all levels of ability, from elite athletes who are looking to compete to beginners wanting to get fit. From experience I can vouch for the quality of the social events, including the legendary Pub Jog.

Men’s Hockey

Club Captain: Patrick Davis

If you want a club that plays hard and parties harder, look no further than the Men’s Hockey Club. In the 2011/12 season the 1st XI secured the BUCS Midlands 2a league title, with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams showing similar success. All of this sandwiched between three tours and weekly circling nights…

Men’s Rugby

Club Captain: Elliot Hodges

Men’s Rugby fields four teams, three of which compete in the BUCS leagues. They can also boast an undefeated record against local rivals Coventry University Rugby in the annual varsity matches as well as their notoriously unique social calendar.

Warwick Devils Cheerleading

Club President: Jamie Day

The Warwick Devils Cheerleading are the UK University National Champions and has eight competitive teams including large and small stunt teams, a hip hop dance teams and the traditional Pom team. They also have one non-competitive team and are welcoming to purely social members.

Warwick Squash

Club President: Mark Le Conte

The Squash Club at Warwick has over 200 members and is growing fast. They field three men’s teams and one ladies team in the BUCS leagues as well as well as three men’s teams in the Warwickshire leagues, ensuring opportunity for all. Last year Warwick Squash successfully hosted the first UV Squash Festival in UK and only narrowly missed out of being awarded Warwick Sport Club of the year.

So get joining. Even if you can barely play the sport, those notorious Pop! nights are not to be missed…