Best ways to spend your reading week

Does anybody actually study?

| UPDATED break holiday reading week resist revision studying

It’s that time of the semester again- your thinly veiled disguise of a reading week means that holiday and relaxation is finally here.

For some of you, reading week will consist of asking your parents if you can use conveyor belts as dining utensils and wondering how long you can stay in bed before a family member declares you dead.

But for the rest who decided to remain in halls here are some of the things you could take up this week to relieve yourself of mind crushing boredom.  

Explore your surroundings

If you can be arsed to get up at a sensible time this could be right up your alley. With many a pleasant view to behold in Stirling. There is really a wealth of things to do such as visiting the Wallace monument or Stirling castle, which offer some spectacular views of the countryside.

Eat takeaway for a solid week

This seems more likely. Although expensive nothing beats having Domino’s phoning you at 3am to tell you that your pizza, which you ordered an hour and a half ago has arrived.

And Stirling really does have a rich takeaway culture, whether you’re ordering Sushi from the new Japanese restaurant or “Morning Glory” from your local chinese takeaway, you’re guaranteed to get plenty of diversity in your takeaway options, even if you’re eating it for a week.

Well of course it’s the chef’s specialty

Read a book

Why not celebrate the release of 50 Shades of Grey in theatres by reading the book? I can guarantee satisfaction if you enjoy badly written bits of Twilight fan fiction.

Yes the dulux colour chart of the same name may be mildly less dull to watch, and yes the book now finally exemplifies a love story worse than Twilight, but if you’re not a fan of the film and its plot then you can always immerse yourself in the comedy value that is Dakota Johnson’s lip biting addiction.

Kinky

Take up a hobby

Building a ship in a bottle seems nicely refined for your palette, unless you live in Geddes in which case the bottle had alcohol in it – but there’s something quite appealing about the image of the HMS Victory in a Strongbow bottle.

Don’t have a bottle? Buy one from the Union shop and attempt your new found hobby after downing the bottle’s contents, it’s just like upping life’s difficult settings.

Can easily fit HMS victory into one of those

Skype some of your friends or family

Keeping in touch with those that you care about is always nice, but lets be honest, its also quite boring. As with many problems in life, I find the best way to solve this problem is to make a drinking game out of it.

Multi-tasking at it’s finest, for example you could take a shot every time your mum asks you a general question about your well-being. You could get your mum involved as well, get her to take a shot every time you say “I’m fine”, “Don’t worry” and “I’m really enjoying uni.”

Not even room for the laptop now

You’ll be smashed within the first five minutes. You’re welcome.

Binge Drinking

Nothing like boldly carrying on in the same direction as before but this time you don’t have to make that important lecture in the morning.

Imagine Dusk Tuesdays with no seminar Wednesdays. This is the stuff of dreams people.

Sleeping

sleeping is good

So needless to say, sleeping will be a big part of your reading week. Enjoy it while it lasts – it’s exam season soon.

Studying

Well good on you. Seriously, well done on you for being a responsible student. Somebody has to be.

It can be easier to stick to the plan if you drag in friends to work with you