There will officially be free Wi-Fi in Sheffield from May

Your procrastination will never be interrupted again

Sheffield City Council have revealed that there will be free Wi-Fi across Sheffield city centre rolled out from May 2018.

The Wi-Fi will have download speeds of 20Mbps and upload speeds of 4Mbps and is due to be rolled out in stages between May and November 2018.

The Council struck a deal with Sheffield-based firm Idaq Networks, to deliver the internet service.

Idaq Networks will also support The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam to develop new technologies and products as part of the contract, which will last seven years, with the option to run for an additional three years afterwards.

The firm will provide the free Wi-Fi in return for exclusive use of council-owned lamp posts, and potentially council buildings and CCTV columns. These will be used to install 'superfast' and 'ultrafast' broadband equipment.

The public network will include a filter preventing access to inappropriate content.

University of Sheffield

The Tab Sheffield

last seen today at 03:48

Get breaking Sheffield news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out about the latest campus racism stories, mad shit happening in Corp, and if anyone decides to occupy the Arts Tower again. Straight into your DMs. 😘