Sports team of the week: Bears Ice Hockey

Ever wondered what it’s like to play against the best players in the country or why it’s acceptable to fight in Ice Hockey? The Tab spoke to president Peter Philips.

hockey ice of team the week

Likelihood of breaking a limb – More than you’re probably comfortable with.

Accessibility – Hockey on ice? Just like GCSE PE, can’t be hard.

Masculinity – Schwarzenegger-esque.

How did you get into Ice Hockey?

I’m playing in my 16th year and it all started by watching a team training. Even though I skated I was told that I ‘would never be good enough to play’. Since then I’ve played for Blackburn, the Bears and the North of England.

What was it like playing against Sheffield Steelers?

It was an amazing experience that won’t be forgotten and will probably never happen again. Playing against better players is the best way to improve. It was great to be able to raise the profile of the club and sport.

Manly.

How does it feel at Varsity when you’re rivals with the people you are teammates with for the rest of the year?

This gives us one of the most intense Varsity experiences, the atmosphere within the Bears changes with an unspoken divide and a slow build of tension in the month before. But it’s great how everyone goes on the same night out afterwards. There were fights in the game two years ago, but come the night, everyone is best mates again.

Why is it acceptable to fight in Ice Hockey?

It fits well, allowing players to vent frustration and show passion when tensions boil over. It’s just part of the sport.

Funniest thing you’ve seen on an Ice Hockey rink?

A Hallamer trying to hip check (a manoeuvre where a player crashes into another using their hip to ‘check‘ their movement)  a 40 year old in Varsity this year. Also putting clear tape on the bottom of skates means some funny falls due the lack of grip. The naked calendar is always fun and daring to take part in.

What are your socials like?

There are a couple a month. The Candid Camera social with other clubs is always a good night but the biggest and best every year is the Varsity Social.

Biggest lightweight in the team?

Matt Barton – he’s skinny and can’t handle his drink. He likes to think he’s the king of banter, when in reality he’s on the end of the jokes.

Neeeeow.

Best thing about being part of a sports team at Uni?

Friendships and diversity. We share so many experiences and it is more than the sporting achievements that makes it great. The ‘Bears family’ have showed how to have fun in sport.