Old boys behave like ‘gorillas’ at Keble’s first bop

Outrage over ‘shocking display of misogyny’

| UPDATED bop Keble misogyny Old Boys

Female Keble freshers were left horrified after the old boys put on a “shocking display of misogyny, assault and harassment” at the first bop of the year.

Around 20 Keble Ghosts, made up of ex students, were seen prowling the bar on Saturday of 0th week in what freshers claim was an attempt to make women uncomfortable.

One rugby player is reported to have started running at a girl “like a gorilla”, another was spotted carrying girls out of the bar – and one old boy even said he hated women.

Keble’s first bop of the year

One Keble fresher at the event said the first bop of the year was marred by a “shocking display of misogyny, assault and harassment”.

Another terrified reveller said: “One guy started running at me like a gorilla and one guy said he hated women.

“One guy picked me up and carried me out the bar: I asked him what the hell he was doing. That behaviour is just not on!

“A guy sat down next to two of us, and put his arm round one whilst pushing me out the way. It was appalling. It’s intimidating.

One intimidated first year said: “Every time we went outside and sat down, someone came over and put their hand around us.”

A male fresher who was also at the event said: “I don’t know why they just harassed women. Some of them must have been gay: they play rugby!”

The Ghosts’ actions ranged from verbal abuse to the plain absurd – one old boy is said to have started running at a girl “like a gorilla”.

Their actions were branded as “intimidating and appalling” by revellers who felt it was a particularly bad way to make the new freshers feel welcome.

An email was sent to the JCR from the college welfare officers, slamming the the behaviour as “an anomaly at Keble.”

One fresher who was at the bop said: “It shows how we’ve moved on from our treatment of women: the college’s response has been good.”

Email sent to JCR

Students were told to contact the welfare team if they were made uncomfortable in any way, with the emphasis put on support. The email said:  “The college is fully supportive and wants to create a safe environment for its students”.