Top six cafés to study in as a student in Nottingham

A dedicated guide on how to awaken the academic weapon within you with a sweet treat in hand

Studying. Boring. Never ending. Perpetual.

Don’t lie. I’m sure when you were 18, like me, when thinking about the ‘university’ part of ‘uni’, you imagined a dark academia aesthetic that could be romanticised like a scene out of Gilmore Girls or Legally Blonde.

The reality is more like climbing up to D floor in George Green, only to find a spot with no socket. This is followed by dejectedly packing up your stuff to go home and (not) study in your Slazenger trackies.

However, studying doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom. Here’s your guide on how to achieve your college-film-scene-worthy studying experience.

The Dispatch

The Dispatch, located near Goose Gate, is probably one of my favorite coffee shops in Notts. As you walk in, you are greeted by décor that makes you question if you have walked into a Wes Anderson Film.

While the aesthetic is exquisite, let’s get down to the most important matter:

The Caffeine and the sweet treats.

What’s really impressive is the range of sweet treats, including a variety of gluten-free and vegan options. If this isn’t your thing, they also do a range of sandwiches and toasties.

The Coffee on the other hand? Equally, impressive. They even offer a ‘Spanish Latte’ which uses condensed milk to add a bit of sweetness to your life. Coffees are about £3-£4 which is more than reasonable for a good brew.

The catch? No laptops on the weekend. But! It is open from 8:30am to 7pm Monday to Friday.

Blend

Blend has become a staple on the Nottingham foodie scene.

There are three branches across Nottingham – one in Sneinton, one in the Nottingham Contemporary, and the EastWest branch minutes from Old Market.

Each has a different style, with the one EastWest being the best for studying, and the Contemporary Branch situated under a free art gallery – what more could you want?

They serve a range of food and drinks, from salads to toasties, coffees to smoothies, and are very much friendly to gluten-free and vegans alike.

AvoCafé

It would be a bit rude not to put this in here. If you live in Lenton you know the drill.

Avocafé focuses on serving healthy and nutritious food, with coffee supplied by 200 Degrees.

This cafe offers an array of exotic lattes to sip on while you indulge in your group project, only later realising no one has actually started.

As it can get busy, it’s best to navigate off-peak times after the lunch rush.

While it isn’t great for groups, as the booths don’t allow laptops, Avocafé is a great spot within reach of those living in Lenton who want a change of scenery.

(Did I mention free wifi too?)

The Speciality Coffee Shop

The Speciality Coffee shop has my heart. Enough said.

It’s a small contemporary coffee shop on Friar Lane that serves up coffee smoother than your first pint back at Sheaves.

With plenty of table space, soothing music, and a brilliant brunch menu (and free wifi), I could not recommend this place enough as one the most perfect study spaces Notts has to offer.

Café Sobar

Café Sobar offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Run by a local drug and alcohol recovery charity, Double Impact, this social enterprise donates all profits back to helping those recovering from addiction.

Not only does this cafe make a real difference, it also serves delicious food and drink.

Providing large tables and good lighting, this venue is the perfect study spot to change it up.

Hipo Coffee

A Coffee and a Spud for £6.50?  Yes, please.

Hipo Coffee brings a great selection of coffee and spuds, in the heart of Hockley on Carlton Street, with plenty of study space.

It has a cosy atmosphere and friendly staff, with arguably the best jacket potatoes in Notts, this is a difficult venue to pass up on.

Offering tables inside and out, find the bright blue shop on the corner of the Lace Market to remix your study routine.