Man fatally struck by car being pursued by police in Nottingham city centre

An arrest had been made in connection with the incident

A man has died after being struck by a car being pursued by a police car in Nottingham city centre.

Nottinghamshire Police said that the man was hit on the A60 Huntingdon Street in the early hours of Wednesday Morning.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene,  the BBC has reported.

Police have said that a man has been arrested in connection with the incident and the force has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

A spokesperson for the IOPC said: “The Independent Office for Police Conduct has started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding a collision in Nottingham city centre.

“It follows a referral from Nottinghamshire Police after one of its vehicles was involved in a pursuit with another car on the A60 Huntingdon Street.

“After we were notified by the force, we sent our investigators to the police post-incident process and scene to begin gathering information.

“Our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragic incident.”

An appeal for witnesses has been made, especially for anyone who might have dashcam footage of the area at the time of the incident.

Diversions are in place and the police have said that road closures were expected to remain in place for some time.

Nottingham City Transport said severe delays were expected on Brown, Sky Blue, Lime and Purple. line buses.

Featured Image via Google Maps

• Students at Uni of Nottingham’s Ningbo campus must pledge allegiance to Communist Party

Nottingham student died after running away from hospital and being struck by a lorry

• Nottingham City Council has declared itself as being effectively bankrupt